Wednesday, August 24, 2011

What A Day

Wow!!!  Finally sat down from just after I wrote the post this morning.  Here's how it played out:
-Boo's condition continued their downward trend.  This was anticipated but still hard to hear.
-His doctors decided to install a catheter in his chest.  It wasn't a matter of "if" Boo would need dialysis but "when" he would need it.
-About the same time I learned about Boo's catheter I learned Carmen tested positive for a toxin associated with E. Coli and would require a blood test.
-One option was to take her to the pediatrician.  The other option was Children's.  We decided to bring her to Children's because the test results would come back sooner and if for some reason something showed up on the test she would have immediate access to excellent care.  
-There are two types of catheters for Boo.  One is considered "temporary" while the other is considered "permanent."  The surgeon expressed concern about using the permanent catheter because of the potential for it to "ooze" (low platelet numbers mean the blood doesn't clot as well) and create discomfort and potential infection.  The only problem is now the tubes stick out of his neck and aren't as secure as the "permanent" type.
-Carmen's blood work came back great.  Everything is perfect.  She was officially discharged from the hospital.  Right now we're 1 for 2 on discharges!
-Boo's surgery went well and they took him directly to dialysis.
-(Deep breath) Okay.  Wow.  That was a pretty big day.  Hopefully we're rounding the corner.
-Still no timeline but I'll throw out 10-14 days.  Maybe less, maybe more.
-Boo can eat and drink a little now that he's on dialysis.  He's really happy about that!

2 comments:

  1. Wow you all have to be exhausted! Please remember I am here and willing to do anything I can to help in fact Mary Orlosky the old swim team coach from MICC just stopped by the club and I was filling her in on what was going on with little Boo and she suggested that we go clean your house. If that is something that you are interested in taking us up on that just let me know and she said that maybe Sam could let us in or something. I hope the sunflowers brought a little sunshine to the room! Kiss that little boy for me and I hope to see you all sooner than later!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Nate,

    I am sure you don't remember me, as it has been 20+ years since we met, but I am Doc & Laurel Andersen's daughter, Christi. I just wanted to let you know that you have teams of people here that are praying for you and your family. We'll be sending lots of prayers, love, good thoughts, and fighting spirits your way!

    ReplyDelete